The hostel is placed in a traditional farmhouse of Tierra de Campos, made of adobe and mud walls and with a wooden roof, these matereial are typical in the constructions of the area. The house was restored attempting to respect its traditional architectural style at the same time as providing it with the services necessary to be a Pilgrim's hotel, endowing it with a warm family environment.
There are amenities for 20 peopl available, divided into rooms for 4 and 6 people, a spacious bathroom, a garden, a terrace, living room and a bar-restautant where we offer breakfast, sandwiches and the Pilgrim's Menu, with a home-made traditional cuisine.
Sice 2009 we have the award of Santiago Route Superior Hostel title.
- Bunk bed per night: 9 €.
- Breakfast: 2,50 €.
- Lunch: 10 €.
- Dinner: 10 €.
Facilities and services
- Washing machine.
- Laundry room.
- First Aid Kit.
- A bicycle shed.
- Free Internet access.
- We also have sheets and towels.
The first of San Nicolas' existence date from the 12th Century, it is also probably that it existed before that, but all the evidences that we actually have dates back from 1195, the year in which a document testified the existence of a lepers' hospital in the village.
The last mentioned hopital was founded by Mr Tello Pérez de Meneses, who had a great influence at that time, he entrusted its management to the Santa María de Trianos' Saint Augustine Order monks.
The hospital took care of 13 lepers and also Camino de Santiago's pilgrims, it was a Trianos' monastery priory, but gradually it became as important as the monastery itself. This monastery had many lands and properties in the region and several mills in the area, they had jurisdictions from the King Alfonso VI and its economy was based in the lands and in donations from people who had influence in the Castillan society of the time.
Nowadays there is not any evidence of the existance of the hospital building, but it is said that one of its columns is in the village's cementery.
There was also a Templar churc which, unfortunately, disappeared. The current church dates back from the 13th Century; inside, a beautiful baroque style altarpiece can be admired.
The documents which prove this history can be find in the Biblioteca Nacional (National Library), Clergy section, folders 1737 to 1739.
There is also a reserach of this hospital conducted and written by Mr Guillermo Castán Lanaspa.